What kind of a day are you having? A good day? Like a really good day? A 10? AMAZING!
Oh, but what if you’re having an awful day? One of those “when it rains, it pours” kind of days… Or worst of all, you can’t even rank the kind of day you’ve been having because you don’t even remember what you ate for breakfast this morning. The day blends in because it’s the same boring routine.
What if I told you that regardless of whether you’re having an amazing day or an awful day… you caused it!?
“But Jessica, I sure as hell didn’t cause my daughter to throw up in the car, or my boss to snap at me, or my car to break down.”
“I’d love to take credit for all the lights being green on my way to work but it was just luck!”
There is another theory… It’s called the “Law of Attraction” and it challenges the notion that you have no control over the world around you.
When broken down to its core, the Law of Attraction states simply that what we think, speak, believe and feel intensely about, we will bring about.
This law is based on the proven, scientific fact that our thoughts are made up of energy, energy that can bond with and affect the physical world (which is also made up of energy).
Now, you’ll have to excuse the science-y part here, but you have to admit it’s pretty amazing! I’ll spare you a rudimentary explanation of entanglement theory or a lecture on Einstein’s theories in Quantum Physics of Consciousness as it pertains to the law of attraction. For now, just digest this.
Basic medical devices provide brain scans that detect our brain waves. Something as simple as “I’m really craving a Diet Coke” would light up a brain scan like a Christmas tree. So can you imagine the strength of an intense thought backed up by intense emotion? Something like:
“I am going to spend the rest of my life with that man.”
If that’s true of one strong thought, imagine the affect of a reoccurring thought, belief, or statement!
Whether positive or negative, your thoughts have the power to affect your physical world. The question becomes: what kind of life you could create if you were intentional about your thoughts ALL THE TIME?
“What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” – Mark 11:24 (King James Version of the Bible)
“All that we are is a result of what we have thought.” –Buddha
“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” –Albert Einstein
“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.” – Carl Jung
The most brilliant minds in history are consistent in their belief that a person’s mindset is paramount to their success. So, how can we harness the Law of Attraction to create the life of our dreams?
Here are the basics you need to understand first:
1. The law of attraction does not care whether you do or do not want something. It responds simply to “the point of attraction” or what you are focusing on. For example:
“I want to lose weight.” The focus is on weight, so you are attracting more weight.
“I want to be strong and healthy.” The point of attraction is strength and health. Can you guess what that attracts? Yep.
2. The law of attraction is always at work. Even if you are not consciously desiring or fearing something, you are subconsciously sending out “requests” to the universe based on the energy of your automatic thought.
When you complain, judge or worry, you are doing what co-author of The Secret, Jack Canfield, calls, “Negative goal-setting.” You are giving attention and energy to these issues and according to the law of attraction, “where attention goes, energy flows.”
3. Intend to receive what you want. Intention is another form of energy. It has the power to align the tools required to receive what you desire.
“Our intentions attract the elements and forces, the events, the situation, the circumstances, and the relationships necessary to fulfill the intended outcome. We don’t need to become involved in the details –in fact, trying too hard may backfire. Let the nonlocal intelligence synchronize the actions of the universe to fulfill your intentions for you.” –Deepak Chopra, Author of The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success
This is a very basic explanation of the incredibly powerful law of attraction and for a deeper understanding I recommend reading: “The Law of Attraction” By Esther & Jerry Hicks.
In the spirit of the new year, I want you to experiment with The Law of Attraction. Here are 3 action steps to help you attract YOUR DREAMS.
1. Practice gratitude. When we appreciate the abundance already in our life, we attract more abundance. Check out “Trigger Happy” for tips on how to integrate gratitude into your daily life.
2. Turn complaints into positive requests. When you feel yourself boiling with anger about an attitude of your co-worker, simply shift the thought. Instead of thinking, “I am surrounded by idiots. Why does my team always fail to get the job done right?” Say to yourself, “I need to help my team understand what’s required of them so that next time we can exceed our goals.”
3. Make a list of what you WANT (not what you don’t want!). It’s amazing how few of us really think about what we want! Can you name 100 things that you want in your life? At least one in each growth category? If not, start thinking about it. Once you’ve created the list, review it to make sure there are no negative points of attraction. Tweak any requests like “I want to be debt-free” to state, “I want to be saving money each month.” Or ,“I want to be cancer-free” to state, “I want to be healthy and live a long life.”
BONUS STEP: Create a Vision Board! Since we now know that the Law of Attraction is always at work, it’s important to set up triggers to remind you specifically of what you want!
I have been using the law of attraction for a little over a year and it has brought me much of what I asked for. Now, I’m starting to be more careful when it comes to complaining and worrying, because it sure as hell manifested those thoughts into reality too!
Share your experience with the Law of Attraction below!